For anyone interested in public engagement with science…
We’d love for you to get involved! Attend an event, follow us online, support the Center’s work, and share information with our community.
Email List: Subscribe to our mailing list and get customized notifications about news, events, resources, and jobs related to public engagement with science.Subscribe
Follow us on social media
Share with the PEWS Community
Do you have news, events, resources, or jobs that you’d like to share with the PEWS community? Complete our online form and share your itemShare Your News
Center for Public Engagement with Science
University of Cincinnati
McMicken Hall 206 ML 0374
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0374
For members of the University of Cincinnati community…
PEWS is actively developing opportunities for members of the UC community, including undergraduate students, graduate students, and researchers. Our website, email list, and social media are the best ways to stay up to date about events and opportunities. See above for links to subscribe to our mailing list and follow us on social media.
MS Teams: We use Microsoft Teams as our primary collaboration tool. Any member of the UC community interested to get more involved with PEWS is welcome to join our Team: UC Center for Public Engagement with Science
Here are some of the ways you can get involved with PEWS now and some of the plans we are working on for future opportunities.
R&D Group: Researchers and students interested in public engagement with science are welcome to get involved with the interdisciplinary PEWS ‘R&D’ (research and discussion) group that meets regularly through the year. See the Research and Discussion Group channel in MS Teams for recent topics and meeting announcements.
Faculty Affiliates: UC faculty are welcome to reach out to discuss becoming a Faculty Affiliate of PEWS. PEWS Faculty Affiliates pursue their own public engagement with science activities and lead or collaborate on at least one PEWS project.
Broader Impacts Partner: PEWS partners with UC PIs on their broader impacts for NSF grants. We are happy to discuss how we can help support researchers’ robust broader impact plans. Examples of what this might involve include training graduate students in public engagement, offering public engagement training at planned conferences, disseminating outreach products to community partners and the public, and developing community partnerships for co-created outreach initiatives.
Project Collaboration: Planning an event or project related to public engagement with science? PEWS would love to share your message with our network; complete our online form to share your itemShare Your Event
PEWS is sometimes able to cosponsor or otherwise collaborate on events and projects; please contact us to discuss!
For UC Undergraduate Students:
- The gen ed course PHIL 1032 How Science Works (BoKs NS and QR) provides an introduction to the nature of science and to wide range of scientific methods and patterns of reasoning.
- PEWS sometimes mentors UHP summer interns, and we are interested to develop additional undergraduate internship opportunities.
For UC Graduate Students:
- Interdisciplinary graduate course NSCI/SOSC/HUM 7030 Public Engagement with Science is typically offered each spring semester.
- We offer a two-day, 1-credit graduate course, NSCI/SOSC/HUM 7000 Sharing Science Experience (SSE), in partnership with Cincinnati Museum Center when grants or programs can cover the cost of the course.
- PEWS regularly advertises paid graduate internships and research assistantships on our mailing list.